This is a twice a week feature (Wednesdays and Fridays) where Christa of Hooked on Books and myself will be watching and discussing all of the reboot of Doctor Who. Posts will contain spoilers for that episode and ones before it, so you may want to watch the episode before reading. I hope you’ll join us in enjoying this fantastic show, and don’t forget to check out Christa’s post (with past posts over here) as well! Allons-y!
Doomsday by Russell T Davies
The Daleks and Cyberman fight to be the ones to take over the world and it’s up to the Doctor and Rose joined by Mickey Smith and the Tylers to stop them. AND TO BREAK MEGHAN’S HEART.
For extra heart-breaking fun, listen to this while reading.
Watching this episode was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in awhile. In my last rewatch of DW I actually stopped at Army of Ghosts because I just couldn’t deal with it. I couldn’t. And I thought that maybe it would be easier the second time. I thought that maybe I would have built it up so much in my head and my heart that I’d pull a DH2 and not be able to cry, but that didn’t happen. If anything, I cried more because I knew what was going to happen and everything set me off. Every time I saw those walls… like when the Doctor is taken to parallel Torchwood he stands by those walls and thought about how soon Rose would be pounding on those same walls without him.
Okay, I need to talk about some other stuff first or I’ll never be able to stop crying. I’m going to have to list it again guys. I’m sorry. This is just too emotional for me to make paragraphs.
1. I love Jackie in this episode. I love how she escapes from the cybermen. I love that she tells the Doctor who shut up and he does. I love that she tells off Pete when he tries to make her leave without Rose. I love her relationship with Rose and how when the Doctor says goodbye Jackie is the first one to Rose. Their relationship is one of my favourite things about season 2. I know I say it a lot, but it’s just so wonderful. Fuck yes, Jackie Tyler.
2. I love that Yvonne is strong until the end and somehow fights the cybermen programming to continue protecting her country. She did what she thought was right, even if it was wrong, and I really respect her.
3. I love that Harriet Jones is the president in the alternate universe.
4. I love that Rose uses her intelligence to stop the Daleks from killing her and Mickey. You can see that she’s learned so much from her time with the Doctor. There’s also a moment where she talks about her encounter with the Emperor, and it made it seem like she remembers her experience with the Time Vortex. Now maybe the Doctor just told her what happened, but I like to think that, like a certain character from seasons five and six, she can remember it if she thinks about it, but thinking about it can be painful so she doesn’t bring it up a lot. It makes her more like the Doctor to me. More of a match for him.
5. Peter and Jackie. Just. Yes.
And now there’s no avoiding it. The emotion in this episode from the moment the Doctor reveals his plan to the moment he doesn’t say those three words. *exhale* The acting in this episode is just…so good. Tennant is so into it at one point that his brogue starts to come out. The way that the Doctor shows his pain but also tries to hide it behind the jokes and the smiles and the tangents. The way that Rose can see right through him. The way that Rose won’t let him leave her behind. The way that she fights until the very end to protect the Earth and him. The way the Doctor looks when she disappears. The way that they act when they say goodbye. The avoidance. The way they fall back into old ways. The way Rose slowly begins to break apart. The way he looks at her. The way he looks at her. And the way he says her name, right there at the end. I know he doesn’t say IT, but I like to think that every time he said “Rose Tyler” that was what he meant. He was saying those three words every single time. I have to think that. I need that to be true because otherwise it just hurts too much. It just hurts so much.
Favourite Quotes (because Meghan likes making herself cry)
“I made my choice a long time ago and I’m never gonna leave you.” – Rose Tyler: Defender of the Earth
Next week we start with season three. I’ll see you guys there. Hopefully I’ll have stopped sobbing by then.